Saturday, November 3, 2012

11/3/2012

http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/may07/vol64/num08/Assessment-Through-the-Student%27s-Eyes.aspx

This article is about using assessment to help students instead of it just being another mark in the grade book. Some students get on a winning streak where they do good on a test and they continue to do well. On the other hand some students fail which discourages them and then they continue to fail. One thing it mentioned was showing your expectations through examples of excellent student work. This way students know what you are expecting so they can work towards that. I remember a few different classes where there assignments that I wasn't sure what the teacher wanted me to do so I did what I thought he/she wanted and I didn't get as high of a grade as I expected. I think if I would have got an example I would have done a lot better.

I liked the part that said you aren't going to keep all failure from happening but you are trying to keep it from happening twice in a row. You can find what the student failed on and correct it. The steps were setting your students up for success and turning failure into success.  I think it is important that your tests aren't just a regurgitation of material.

5 comments:

  1. I like examples too. I had a few teachers do that and it is incredibly helpful. If examples weren't available, do you think rubrics are better than a points list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think that it is important for tests to not be just a regurgitation of material. I think tests should show that the students learned and comprehended the material, not just that they are able to memorize facts for a test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I have ever had a points list, is that you get so many points for doing one thing and 5 points for completing something else?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have mentioned on other blogs that this topic is so important for all educators. I also agree tests shouldn't be on the more simple levels of Bloom's taxonomy, but higher order thinking like application and creation of new ideas. I haven't had points lists before either, but definitely rubrics and I think they are very helpful as a student as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The word assessment now a day come brings much dread. If I as a teacher can help assessments become something the students embrace that would be great. I just hate that the Us education system has become so dependent on. But like the article said, you aren't going to keep all failure from happening but you are trying to keep it from happening twice in a row I really like that quote.

    ReplyDelete