Thursday, September 20, 2012

9/20/2012

Reflection on technology tools to use in the class room:
http://www.techlearning.com/article/back-to-school-product-showcase/46264

A lot of these tools were software or online downloads that look very useful. The online learning exchange is a site that a teacher can upload their course material alongside the information from the textbook for student access. They have different activities on the website to track the student's progress. One idea I thought was very interesting would be to have an independent learning class. Since I am a science teacher I would have one of my classes be an independent science class. The Gradpoint tool is an online program (http://www.pearsonschool.com/%20gradpoint) that has different elective courses a student could do. This class that I am envisioning would need to be in the computer lab or have enough laptops for each student in the class. Students could pick different science courses and do it at their own pace. I would be more of a facilitator than a teacher. If students had a problem with what they are learning I would be able to help them. I think this would be good to give them experience in courses they wouldn't normally encounter in high school. It would also give them experience being more independent in their learning to help them prepare for college.


4 comments:

  1. I really liked the idea of using a computer software that allows the teacher to easily track the students progress. The way you described it reminds me of a "Flipped" classroom where they do readings or online lectures at home, then in the classroom do work problems that the teacher can coach individuals though if needed. Good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday in one of my classes we learned a lot about the "flipped" classroom. One program that teachers are using to do that is called Khan Academy and I think it's a great idea. It gives students so much more control of their learning and the pace at which they work. It also gives the teachers more knowledge of who is understanding the material and who needs more assistance. I just love the idea of a flipped classroom. I also liked the point that you made that such things would give them more preparation for college. I think students need all the real life prep they can get because college is a whole different ball game than high school. I know I was under prepared so I wish high schools would give students more preparation before they send them off into the big leagues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! These would also be great ways to develop individual study habits and help the students figure out how they learn most effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this seems like an awesome site to use. As a science teacher there are a lot of neat tools for you to use.

    ReplyDelete